Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It IS cold where we are....

Here is baby all ready to get the job done.
He is helping to fix the toilet.

The current temperature here is -6 degrees with a wind chill of -26 degrees. Do you know what that means in this home? Well yes, we get the kerosene heater out to help the furnace along... but also it means that the toilet freezes up. No there isn't a little skating rink in the tiny bowl, but the water line feeding into the tank runs along a northern (apparently uninsulated) wall. It seems to run around the heavy porcelain tub. You can't just cut a hole in the tub to gain access to a frozen water line. I am trying to thaw it by placing my forced air heater directly in the tub to heat the porcelain. I know it will probably be in vain. I have also knocked a little hole in the wall on the other side of the tub. (My dad helped me with that.) Then I aimed my hair dryer directly in there for a while, but to no avail. I just want to survive tomorrow, without the rest of the pipes freezing, the high tomorrow is predicted to be four degrees below zero with wind chills between -35 and -45 degrees. I have all the faucets on slow drip and I'm catching the water in jugs to use to flush my toilet. The temperature is supposed to be a balmy 18 above on Friday. Wish me luck.
Peace Love and Brrrr.






A little update. It is the next morning now, and the water line had thawed during the night... Yay! Oh, the joy of properly functioning plumbing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why I live in Florida!!! :)